Friday, September 21, 2012

Mama Musings

Here are a few tidbits of reality and advice I have picked up over the last year...

• Once your little one is old enough to crawl/walk, you can kiss every last bit of privacy or personal space goodbye.
~This especially applies to the bathroom setting. Get your business done quick, or get used to having an audience. Also expect to have the shower curtain ripped down when you are relishing those 5 minutes of steamy, showery peace & quiet.

• The word "quiet" also takes on a new meaning...unless they are asleep or eating, if it suddenly gets quiet, it probably means the little bambino is up to no good.
~In our house that eerie silence means O-dawg is either eating dog food, scattering every last diaper and wipe across the house, or climbing onto the dining room table. Ayiyi!

• Owen has finally become an excellent sleeper. If you've gone through months and months...and months of waking up multiple times, you know just how amazing it is to turn that corner. Being a parent turns sleep into a necessity AND luxury. Sleeping in until 11am, afternoon naps when I please and 2am bedtimes by choice...I should have never taken those things for granted!

• Now getting da babe to sleep can sometimes be a different story...for mama, at least. A little rocking & back patting by Grammy, Nana, or Daddy usually does the trick, but when Mama's on bedtime duty, there's only one thing on little mister's mind..and it starts and ends with the letter B.
~Now this secret weapon has come in handy, and seems to be the magical cure-all, but now I'm wondering if tits been a bit overused? Lol! Just saw my typo...how fitting!

•I think "mommy" is also a synonym for worry-wart, let's- think-of-every-possible-disastrous-outcome, I-want-to-put-my-child-in-a-safety-bubble, over thinker. It's really ridiculous how a simple trip to the park can unleash an overreaction of concerns & worries in my mind. I mean, he's not going to fall off the side of the slide when I have a death grip around his waist, and that creepy old man at the picnic table is not a child molester, he's actually waiting for his wife & granddaughter to finish their bike ride ( ya...felt pretty shitty about that one!)
~Thing is, I'm not alone in this maniacal way of thinking, which does make me feel a bit less crazy! Being a new mom is overwhelming, and a big guessing game most of the time, but why can't we just relax & go with the flow? I'm a work in progress on this one, and when my kid's climbing on the dining room table I probably do seem pretty relaxed!

• Growing your family from two to three obviously means a few sacrifices...especially when it comes to social time/mommy & daddy time/girl time/adult time...you get the picture. What once was girls' night out, with fruity cocktails & juicy gossip now equals a play date at the library or zoo with sippy cups and animal crackers.
~Funny thing though...while I sometimes miss the freedoms of the B.B. era (before baby), I love the new experiences I share with my boy, & seeing the world, brand-new, through his eyes reminds me of the everyday joys & wonders of life. Now don't get me wrong, I definitely think every mama deserves a date night & girls' get together (in fact I'm itching for Saturday night to roll around--Mama's hitting the town!), but I've realized building block towers and playing tickle monster is way more fulfilling. I love that! Who knew?!

1 comment: